In Worksheet Systems, you can import your data from a CSV file, map the columns, and make easy modifications to the data and structure. The data import tool lets you quickly search through all your data and gives such advantages as data availability and enhanced reporting.
To import your data from an CSV file, follow these steps:
- In the navigation panel on the left, click Import Data > From CSV File.
- In the wizard that opens, click Browse, and then choose your CSV file.
- The CSV import wizard will now extract the fields from your existing data and list them on the screen.
- If you are creating a new table, leave the New checkbox selected and enter the table name in the Data Table Name field. If you want to add data from the imported table to an already existing table, then deselect the New checkbox and choose the main table from the Data Table Name drop-down list.
- Now you need to select the correct data type for each of these fields, for Worksheet Systems to understand how to manipulate the data. You can choose from the following data types:
- Short Text: Text up to 250 characters.
- Auto Number: This data type is reserved for Key Fields. With each new row, a number is automatically generated in this field. A Key Field is a column where each entry is unique. This ensures that each single row in your data table is unique, and that the data is not repeated.
- Long Text: Text up to 4,000 characters
- Float Number: e.g. 1,234.21
- Whole Number: e.g. 123
- Date Time
- You also need to select a key field. This is a unique field – a column where every entry is unique. Having a unique field ensures that every single row in your data table is unique, and the data is not repeated. You can either add it manually by using the checkbox to the left of your field information, or click Add Unique ID for the system to generate the key.
- Click Import Data to complete the import process. If you follow the steps correctly, you will see a link to your new table under Data Tables on the left. Click this link to view and modify your table.
In Worksheet Systems, you can also extract data from XLS files, in addition to CSV files. For more information, see How to Import Excel Data.